Singapore

Singapore
Singapore

Thursday, July 27, 2017

SINGAPOOOOORE!



Hey everyone!

Ok, super quick--the missionary department is no longer calling missionaries here English speaking; only Malay and Mandarin.  Everyone that was called as an English speaker is now switching to one of the two, which MEANS, I'm not special anymore. Hahaha! So that's cool! Now everyone will be able to speak a different language!  We'll see if the English speakers actually learn a language, but they'll be assigned to! Other than that, it was a fairly calm week. Elder Asah is going to get some wisdom teeth out this next week, so we might be camping inside a few days. So that kinda stinks. I hope that it doesn't take too long to get back out. We'll see I guess!

Monday Elder Asah and I set up a treasure hunt over at a market for all the missionaries in Miri.  It was pretty fun. After that, we went and played futbal at an indoor soccer field. We met with Pana and Lina at 7, and Sayu at 8, and Satam at 9.  It was an awesome night!  AND. They told us that they were gonna be cooking some dog on Tuesday, and invited us over for dinner. SO. That was awesome.

Tuesday, we went and visited a ton of less actives, and met with Suri. Suri was a potential investigator we got.  She lives in a way cool house built on a river.  We met with her, and taught the restoration. She really liked it, and her mother-in-law (she's a little crazy. She doesn't have teeth and is super old) was fully supporting everything we were saying. So that's awesome. I think she didn't really realize that her church doesn't believe what we were teaching, but Suri thinks that it does!   We'll have to clarify that later.    It went really well!  We met with Sait and his family after that. Their little boy won't shake anyone's hand except Elder Asah's, so I'm gonna have to work on that.  We had extra time that night so we ran by Sister Satam's, and ate some dog. Earlier in the day, we stopped by to say hi and get a drink, and we saw the dead dog and took a picture with it. I'll send it. It's named Dog Burning.  If you don't want to see a dead dog getting cooked, don't look at the picture. BUT. Dog actually doesn't taste too bad. It's just mega chewy. I'd eat it again for sure though. They literally just found a stray dog, and killed it, and cooked it. Pretty epic.

Wednesday, I made a list of 15 former investigators or inactives that lived in a certain area, and we visited all of them. One that was particularly good was a former investigator named Chelsea. Her teaching record said that her family figured out she was meeting with us.  The missionaries got kicked out of the house and were told to never go back. SO. We left our bikes at the foot of the stairs.  I asked Elder Asah if I should lock them up.  He told me we shouldn't just in case they chased us away.  We knocked, and they were actually way cool--super happy, energetic, and excited to see us again!  We have an appointment with them for later this week! Later, we met with Samsul. He's 8, and a referral from a really cool recent convert named Tingi.  Samsul is super shy, but he's starting to open up. His mom doesn't really like us some reason. Not sure why. BUT. She's fine with him learning. So that's awesome.  After that, we went to a meeting to help translate for a senior couple.

Thursday was fun.   We advertised for English class, which was a ton of fun. Then we filled the baptismal font.  It was insane. You have to pull about 10 levers in a certain order to fill the font so that the water isn't super dirty.  That was difficult to figure out, but we did it! We stayed for the baptism, and after, went over to teach Sister Annie how to read. Sister Annie is uneducated, but she's WAY good at making beaded ties and stuff. A week ago, we taught her all the letters and the sounds of the letters.  This week, we were teaching her how to read.  We helped her read satu (one), dua (two), and tiga (three). After that, we skipped to lima (five), and had her read it by herself. She sounded it out, and realized it said lima, and she was SO excited! It was her first word she ever read by herself, and she's 30+. It's crazy to me that you can go so long without being able to read.  She was so excited, so that was super fun.

Friday, we met with Suri and taught the Plan of Salvation. She really liked it, and she did a really good job reading the pamphlet we left with her. So that's good. She has a lot of potential to be super solid. We also tried meeting with a former, but they ended up not showing up. Bummer. It's ok though. We had English class later that night, and grabbed some really good burgers before we went home. The burgers weren't good by American standards, but for Malaysia, it was super good.

Saturday, we met with Jasmine, a recent convert from Indonesia. She's way funny, and made some super good noodles for us. I drank a million cups of orange juice, so that was good.   we also met with Sayu at her house.  Her house is literally just a box, and it's built on top of a river.  It's super epic, but there's literally only one room. Just a small box for her and her husband and two kids. Pretty crazy. After that, we had sport night.

I'm running out of time, so I'll be quick.  Sunday I made some way good crock pot dinner stuff, we did weekly planning because we didn't have time throughout the rest of the week, and we had a way cool barbecue with all our recent converts.

That was my week! I gotta go! I love you all! Have a good week! I'm in Singapore right now, so that's why I'm emailing so late!

Love,

Elder Ben Mullins

Rungai's family




Beaded ties Satam makes




Elder Asah









Bintulu/Sibu sign in Miri





Baby dogs





If you don't want to see a dead dog on the fire don't scroll down























Dog Burning



















No comments:

Post a Comment