Singapore

Singapore
Singapore

Monday, September 19, 2016

Miracles in Puchong



Wow! I absolutely LOVE Puchong! Puchong is just a small part of KL. KL is a state, as well as a city. So we're just outside of KL (Kuala Lumpur) in subsection (I think is what it's called?) named Puchong. KL is a huuuuge city, so I'm not really sure how they divide it. I spent the first half of the week in Penang, then moved to Puchong on Wednesday!
So for my last P Day in Penang, we just said goodbye to some people and relaxed.  Tuesday was probably the craziest day of my mission. We were doing personal study when a random guy called, and we set up an appointment. We were way surprised that he called, because it was just out of the blue. We didn't even know how he got our number. We were way excited that he scheduled an appointment with us! We went and taught a less active named Peter. Little did we know that he had converted to some other religion, and he was mega anti-Mormon. When Elder Ng talks to people who say that Joseph Smith wasn't a prophet, he gets mad. Like. REALLY mad.  He was arguing a TON with Peter.  They were having a super-heated debate over the table in this restaurant/fast food place called Nasi Kandar (basically the McDonalds of India).  There were a lot of people around, so after a while, I said that we had another appointment.  Talking to Peter was a waste of time.  We said a closing prayer, then stood up and left. Preeeetty awkward. After that we decided we should let Elder Ng cool down a bit, so we just chilled at a restaurant in Komtar for about 15 minutes. We decided to contact a little before heading to our appointment with the random guy that called. I talked to the first person I saw, got his number, and then the Nepalese guards came and kicked us out of the mall.  We got kicked out of ANOTHER mall!! Elder Ng was disappointed again. We decided we'd call the guy and make sure that we still had an appointment. Elder Massie called him and confirmed the appointment, then right before Elder Massie pulled the phone away from his ear to hang up, the guy said in a quiet voice, "I love you." So Elder Massie was like,, "What in the world? Do you think that guy knows we're missionaries?" Elder Ng took the phone away from Elder Massie and called the guy back. Apparently the guy called the wrong number and didn't realize we were missionaries... I thiiiiink he was trying to hook up with Elder Massie. Soooooo it was a blessing that we had the thought to confirm our appointment. After that, we were going to ride our bikes over to Gurney (another mall) and contact since our appointment was cancelled. We went to grab our bikes. Elder Massie had the key, so he unlocked the bikes, pulled the lock off, and held it up. The lock had been cut. Elder Massie said, "We're missing a bike." Some STOLE Elder Ng's bike! So Elder Ng's day went from bad to worse… to even worse. I felt so bad for him. He got a taxi ride home, and we rode our bikes (splitting up in our mission is allowed, because transportation is such a problem here). I asked President Simmons, and he said it was okay. We didn't break any rules. I can't remember anything else that happened on Monday, but it was a craaazy day!

Wednesday, I said goodbye to all the Elders, went to the airport, and flew to KL. I paid 70 ringgit for a taxi ride to Puchong (that's a ton of money for a missionary), then had to find the apartment. I didn't have a phone, and all I knew is it was in a building called Skypod. SO. I started looking while we were driving. When we got into Puchong I saw a giant building with ‘Skypod’ written really big across the top, so I got dropped off there! That was awesome! Then I couldn't find the elevators. Turned out I had to go allllll the way around the building to the side. After finding that (I talked to a Jehovah's Witness on my way around the building), I went up, and realized I didn't know which room was ours. I only knew which floor.  I looked around for a bit, and found a room with this HUGE pencil sketch of Jesus on it. Luckily, it was easy to tell it was the missionaries' place. I was super glad I found it. I had to go through this little door on the side (they call it a slave door here?) because they weren't home yet, and the front door was locked. I looked around the house and found that they had hung a giant American flag on their balcony.  They have this box they call the Kolob Portal. One of the members in the branch is OBSESSED with facsimiles, so he gave them the idea for the Kolob portal.  The apartment is awesome. We taught a guy named Rama at night, but for the rest of the day, we pretty much just contacted.
Thursday we had a miracle! We contacted all day, and right before we were going to go to a less active member's house, we decided we'd talk to the next person we saw. A Chinese looking guy walked past, we talked to him, and he asked if he could join our church! So we said SURE! After, we invited him to church (his name is Roman), we learned that he was from Kazakhstan. He speaks Russian. His parents are from South Korea. This dude is DIVERSE. He's really cool though.
I just realized I need to introduce my new companion! Elder Forsyth! He pronounces it like the number four, then scythe. Forsyth. He's WAY good at drawing, but he only draws women. I have no idea why. He just doesn't like drawing men. He's a little strange, but he likes really good music! He can speak a bit of Tamil. Tamil is the funniest sounding language you'll ever hear. When Indian girls hear a white person speak it, they LOVE the person that spoke it. Elder Forsyth starts conversations by speaking Tamil ALL THE TIME. It's so funny. He's really cool. I think we'll get along really well. He's been out 4 and a half months, and has been in this area the entire time! So he'll spend the first 1/4 of his mission here. He wears fake glasses because he thinks they look cool. It's hilarious.
The other Elders in the apartment are Elder Jones and Elder Mccusker. Elder Mccusker got in the field the same day as me, but he went to the MTC 6 weeks before me so he's a full transfer ahead of me.

Friday, we met a less active member named Winson.  Winson's parents are super anti-Christian.  The missionaries for the past few transfers kept telling Elder Forsyth that he shouldn't waste his time visiting him, but we decided we'd go! When we got there, his dad didn't recognize that we were missionaries, so he invited us in.  Winson brought us up to his room and we had a good talk.  It was great! He said for the past 3 days, he felt like he should go back to church, so he prayed and promised God he would go to church, then we showed up and invited him! H e went to church Sunday! It was great! He's a wayyyy funny guy. He told us he's scared of sunlight and hates Malaysia. He's way weird. I love him. After that, I bought a lighter, and Elder Forsyth bought a map. The lighter was 1 ringgit (25 US cents). So cheap!  That night, Elder Forsyth showed me how to modify the lighter.  We got a two foot flame going and used all the gas in like 30 seconds. It was totally worth it.  It wasn't too dangerous, but I won't do it again.
Saturday, we were walking to the church to print off English class fliers, and these two Liberian guys stopped us.  They told us they want to learn more about Jesus, and they'd get us students to teach as well.  They gave us their numbers. WHAT???   That was insane. I was freaking out. We'll see what happens with that!  We advertised our English class and got 7 or 8 prospective investigators.  From there we contacted for a while on the train called LRT.  It's the main public transport system in KL. We jumped on the first LRT, and there were literally only 3 Chinese people on the train. The rest were Malay (also Muslim). We're not allowed to teach Muslims. We talked to the 3 Chinese people, got off the LRT, and jumped onto the next one. It was pretty much the same thing. After all of this unsuccess, we went home. As we were leaving the LRT station, we saw a girl on a bench and talked with her. She said she would come to church! So that was great!
Sunday was a day of seeing how the Lord blesses missionaries. Puchong has been struggling with getting good numbers for about 3 transfers. This Sunday our numbers were really good for any area! Between the two companionships, we had 11 investigators at church! That's CRAZY! We also put 3 people on date for baptism and got 3 new investigators.  All around, it was an AWESOME week. We called the ZL's at night to report, and they said, "What happened to Puchong?!?!? You guys haven't even been close to this in forever, and now you're beating almost every area in KL!" We've been extremely blessed, and I hope we continue to be blessed!
The members here are awesome! Bryant is a great guy. He calls the missionaries and asks if he can come contacting with us. Who does that??? That's the worst part of missionary work! He's super awesome. There's also a lady that is going to make us bread every week because I told her I like bread! So I'm way excited to be here. From a missionary prospective Puchong is a way better area than Penang, because contacting is way easier, the branch is just about big enough to be a ward, the members are way awesome, and the work is picking up. Even though Penang was doing super well, I'm really happy to be in Puchong.
Just something random - Hymn 322, come all ye Sons of God, has become my motto--the first line of the 3rd verse.  We sing that a lot in the mornings. Another random thing - Indian food is suuuper good. I actually really REALLY like it. It's super cheap, they serve bread, and it all tastes amazing. Indian food is still the best!
I love you all and the support you give to me! I love being a missionary, and I know that the church is true! I wish I could send pictures, but nobody here has an adapter! I'll buy one and send a bunch next week! Have a nice week!
Love,
Elder Ben Mullins

No comments:

Post a Comment