I've decided that Puchong is
AMAZING. I REALLY hope that I stay here for a few transfers. So much happens
every week, and it's way fun to meet people here. The branch members are way
awesome, and I've loved every minute of this week! The people here are super
funny. In Singapore and Malaysia, they speak very strangely. They say la and lo
and mei and other stuff after each sentence. They all mean different things. So
I love listening to the people in Puchong speak, because they use the words way
more than they did in Penang. It just sounds so funny... I'll try and get in
the habit so you can hear what it sounds like when I get back from my mission.
Last Monday, we just shopped
and slept. It was great. Elder Forsyth set a goal to have 5 potential
investigators by the end of the day, and we only proselyte after 6. So I
thought it'd be impossible, but I decided we could shoot for 5. We went out, and actually got 6! So in 3 and
a half hours, we found 6 people that were willing to set up an appointment and
meet with us. That was a miracle.
Tuesday was kind of rough, but
not bad. We only found one person, but we had a super awesome district meeting,
and taught a lesson. When we were just talking to people, I said hi to this
Chinese guy walking by, and then instead of responding, he just stuck out his
hand and tapped my stomach, then kept walking. I was shocked. So after like 5
seconds of me being speechless, I just looked at Elder Forsyth and said,
"Did you see what just happened?" Then he asked if that was my first
'belly tap', and I said yeah. Haha, I guess belly taps happen every now and
then here. So that was funny!
Wednesday, Elder Forsyth and I
were going to visit Ariz, a less active, while he was at work. We passed this
Chinese guy while we were walking to Ariz, and all of a sudden, I just turned
around and started talking with him. It was SO WEIRD. I didn't even mean to
turn around and talk. I don't really remember what I said, but he went from
saying that he wasn't interested when I first talked to him, to being super
interested and wanted to meet really soon! He doesn't live near Puchong, so
some other missionaries get him, but the Spirit really REALLY told me to go
talk with him. So that was an AWESOME experience! The church is true.
Before that experience though,
we taught Ashley, the girl that we found Saturday night and then went to
church. She's great, but later in the week, she told us she might not be able
to come to church anymore because of work. Hopefully we can convince her that
she needs to come to church. She's an awesome investigator. Between that and
our visit with Ariz, the Chinese Elders got caught at a police checkpoint, and
when they showed copies of their passports, the police said they needed someone
to come give them their passports or else they'd go to jail, so they called
us. We dropped everything and ran home.
We were super far away, so it took about 45 minutes. When we got home and
grabbed their passports, they called and said the police let them go.
Apparently some old Tamil dude came and somehow convinced the police to let
them go. They don't even know why. They just know this old Tamil guy came and
gave them back their passport copies and said to go before the police changed
their minds. Pretty weird.
When we visited Ariz, he was
super excited to see us. He made us some fruit juice earlier. He poured it in two cups for us, and we both
took one and started to drink. Guess what it was? Watermelon juice. That was
it. He literally just threw some watermelon in a juicer and then gave it to us.
Most of you probably know that I REALLY don't like watermelon, but Ariz is such
a nice guy, and he was so enthusiastic about giving us the juice... So I choked
an ENTIRE CUP of WATERMELON JUICE down. One of the hardest things of my
mission. But I survived. I almost started to gag, but held it back.
Thursday, Elder Forsyth and
McCusker went to give someone a blessing unexpectedly, so Elder Jones and I
were on exchanges! We merged our plans together, and taught a guy named Simon,
and then taught Ariz right after. While we were doing that, the other Elders
were leaving IOI mall, but there was a car parked so none of the cars could
leave the parking lot! They decided to
try to fix it, and got out of Sister Saffron's car (she's an awesome member),
and then started trying to lift the car.
Two people came and started to help.
Then one HUGE Tamil guy came and lifted one side of the car while the
four of them lifted the other side. They moved it onto the curb and then
everyone was cheering and freaking out and stuff. Haha, they were pretty much
superheroes. I wish I could've been there!
Friday, we advertised for
English class, and there was a huuuuge traffic jam, so we'd just be between all
these cars handing out fliers while the light was green, because none of the
cars were moving. Before I go on, I have to mention that our goal for each week
is to get 25 potential investigators, and we can do that by getting a name and
phone number even if it's for English Class.
The Chinese Elders were at 13, and needed to hit 25 by Sunday night.
That's a lot of work to do in a couple days. ANYWAY. By the end of advertising,
they got 14 potentials! So they met their goal, we had already met ours, and we
were super pumped. The zone leaders here are all about the numbers, so we were
glad we made our goal early.
Saturday morning, we woke up at
5:00, put on our running clothes, and went to run/walk a 5k! It was a charity
event, and one of our members just signed us up for it. When we got there, we
tried talking with people about the gospel, but nobody was really
interested. Since we were all American,
everyone wanted to take pictures with us! So I'm pretty sure I took 30 pictures
with 30 random people while we were doing that. Planting seeds! After that, we
went to PJ so Elder Forsyth could baptize a girl he taught. I got to meet Elder Rich! He's from American
Fork! And his companion is Elder Fogth, so we got to have a little reunion!
Elder Fogth is awesome. I was really happy to see him. The baptismal service
was great, they had lots of bread after to eat, and then we rushed over to our
young adult branch activity. The young adults met at Brother Shaan's (he's
getting his mission call soon by the way) house, and had a barbeque! They were
supposed to bring friends that weren't members, but none of them did, so we
just got to know the members better! The young adults here are awesome. I
talked to a guy named Darry who got back from his mission in Hong Kong a year
ago. He's hilarious, and he taught me how to say la and lo and mei correctly.
So that was cool.
Sundays are always great! We
had church, taught Roman, then met with Josh. Josh has been investigating since
about two months ago, and Elder Forsyth found and has taught him all the
lessons. Well, we thought his name was Josh. During the last hour of church,
Elder McCusker sent us a text that just said, "HIS NAME IS GEORGE".
We had no idea what he was talking about, so we talked with him after church,
and apparently Josh's name is George. His Liberian accent makes it sound like
Josh when he says George, but he's a super nice guy and didn't correct the
Elders when they met him. So Josh is now George, and he learned the last lesson
he needed to for baptism! So he's gonna be baptized on the 8th! We're super
excited!
Later at night, we taught Rama.
Rama has a lot of things about him that make him really hard to teach. One is,
he's obsessed with his friend David that died about a year ago. He still thinks
about him every day. Second, he "accepts all religions". That makes
it super hard to make him understand this is the only true church. We told him that accepting all religions
makes it so he doesn't accept ours, because our church is the only true church,
and we were pretty bold in declaring doctrine. I think he's finally got it figured out! If he
comes to church this Sunday, I know that he'll be baptized. He's got a lot of
family issues with coming to church, because they're all Hindu so they don't
really approve. If he comes once, I'm
pretty sure he'll come more and more.
Puchong is awesome! So many
things here are great. Malaysia is pretty awesome in general. I wouldn't want
to live here, but serving a mission here is literally the best ever. I love how
funny people here sound. Their accent is so funny. I like telling them to say
'banana' because it sounds hilarious. The minions in “Despicable Me” speak a
dialect of Malay apparently, so the people here can understand like half of
what the minions say! The people here
say banana just like they do. It's the best. Thanks for all your support! The
church is true, I'm growing more and more each day, and I love serving! Have a
great week!
Love,






No comments:
Post a Comment