June 3, 2018
Hey Everyone!
This week was really interesting. There seemed to be a clash
in cultures. The Malays (Muslims) are all fasting for Ramadan, and the Dayak
people (Ibans, Bedayus, Melanaus, and basically every other tribe, aka the
Christians) are stuffing themselves every day and getting wasted because of
Gawai. So that's pretty cool. It's been a crazy week, because there have been
almost 0 Dayak people, so no Christians, nobody that we can actually talk
with. But we made it work!
I'm trying to remember what we did this week... Monday we
went over Brother John's house, and he invited us to come back over on Saturday
and eat with him and his family for Gawai. His neighbors who are former
investigators invited us for Thursday. So we went to both! They gave us tons of
food, forced us to eat tons of food and drink a lot of soda. It was good. I
thought I'd get used to eating chicken skin by the end of my mission, but it's
still kinda gross. The texture is really weird. It has a lot of flavor,
but it's just hard to eat... The actual meat was really good!
I can't remember everything that we did, sooooo I'm just
gonna list some events. We met with a few potential missionaries and got
them to open their hearts to serving a mission. One quit her job so that she
could start preparing. We got another guy to stop going to school early (he
goes to one of those school where you stay all week and come back on the
weekends) so that he could make it to church. We started filling out one's
mission papers online, and the other one we got to give 5 referrals to the
sister missionaries! So that was crazy. We had a ton of success with them this
week. All 4 of them are planning on going on missions now. We also
talked with a person from a different branch about setting up an interview with
her branch president! So. Lots of missionaries are about to come out of
Kuching. That'll be way good.
There was a baptism Saturday, and the little girl asked me
to baptize her, so I did! It was a really good service, and more people showed
up to that than to church! More on that later. Honestly, I have no idea
why all the little girls that get baptized ask me to baptize them. I think they
just don't know anyone else or something. I always say hi, so they know me
a little bit. I'll have to start getting members to be nice to them instead of
me. Haha
Sunday rolled around, and there were 5 members at church, 2
friends of the girl that got baptized, and then the girl that got baptized. So
15 minutes in, there were 6 members instead of 5! Haha! There was just
nobody because of Gawai. We blessed the sacrament, and when I broke the bread,
I just broke it into normal pieces, knelt down, said the prayer, and then stood
up and gave the tray to the person that is going to pass (a family walked in
like 2 minutes before the sacrament, so there were like 15 people or so at this
point). Elder Sorensen gave his tray to the other one that was going to
pass. I looked at his tray, and he literally broke two pieces of bread into
like 10 pieces. So I looked at him, and he just said that he was hungry because
it was fast Sunday. Hahaha, anyway, the members were really surprised to get a
piece of bread that big for the sacrament. I guess it's ok because there was
easily enough for everyone in the room... Buuuuut I dunno. ANYWAY. There was
only 1 hour of church.
We called a lot of investigators on the phone while they
were at their longhouses. Iit was fun, because they'd tell us about what was
happening and stuff. Jordie video called us to show us his band he was going to
be singing with. Haha, Jordie is actually a really good entertainer. It was fun
to see him do karaoke at the church Gawai party.
Sunday night, Raymond and Tracy got back from their
longhouse, so we went over there with the senior couple to teach them about
preparing to go to the temple. They've made a goal to go next June! They're
super excited to go, and Elder Sorensen should be finishing his mission at the
same time they're going, so he's thinking he might go with them! How cool would
that be? Anyway, they're super solid, they didn't drink a drop of alcohol
during Gawai, and it was a ton of fun to teach them.
![]() |
| Raymond and Tracy |
I honestly have no idea what else to talk about this week.
Lots of stuff happened, but I can't really remember a lot of it. We got
invited to a few Gawai parties, and everyone was absolutely wasted at them
except for the members. Alcohol stinks. Really bad. But the food was super
good. Ibans looove karaoke, so it was really funny to hear them sing.
I just got a call from President Simmons saying that I'm
going back to Puchong for my last transfer!!! WOOHOOOOO!!! I'm so excited! My
favorite area for my last 6 weeks! It's gonna be great! I miss KL a lot. I miss
the people, and now I can speak Malay! Haha! It'll be fun to speak with all the
people that didn't have the best English! I'll be able to see what they're
really like now! Ahhhh I'm way excited. This transfer will be the best transfer
of my mission hopefully! Haha! Oh, my companion is an Elder Housely. I'm not sure
if that's spelled correctly. I've never met him since he's served in West
Malaysia his entire mission (he's like 4 months out), but he seems like a
really nice guy, and I've heard good things about him! I don't know much about
him though!
I love you all! Have a great week!
Love,
Elder Ben Mullins
![]() |
| Waterfront tourist shopping |
![]() |
| Beneath the internet cafe |
![]() |
| Aaron and Jeffrey |
![]() |
| Elder and Sister Magelby, McCusker, Sorenson, and Wang |
![]() |
| Orangutan |
![]() |
| I found an old horn that didn't play well |








No comments:
Post a Comment