Hey Everyone!
This week was really REALLY
awesome. We taught tons of lessons, got 4 new investigators (most people can't
even get 2 in one week), found lots of prepared people, and had an overall AWESOME
week. I love being a missionary! It's tons of work, but it's tons of fun too.
Last Monday, we hung out with
Sister Stephanie and her nephew, Gordon. We ate at OLIVE GARDEN. I can't
believe it exists in Malaysia! It doesn't taste quite the same, but it's close
enough. It was one of the best meals I've had in a loooong time. Four months
actually! I've been a missionary for four months and one day today! That's over
1/3 of a year. That's CRAZY. It went by so fast... Anyway, after that, we went
to a store called Jaya. It has a bunch of American imported stuff, so I stocked
up on American things. After that, we went bowling with Gordon, Bryant, and
Boyee. It was tons of fun, and I got a strike bowling between my legs. No big
deal.
Tuesday... Let's see. We taught
a lot of lessons, but I forgot my planner, so I can't remember who we taught.
But besides that, I figured out how to write The Book of Mormon Another
Testament of Jesus Christ in Dwarvern (the language in Lord of The Rings that
the dwarves write in) while waiting for Shena to show up to her lesson, and we
got a bunch of Book of Mormons (Elder Forsyth thinks they're Books of Mormon)
that we had to drag back to the apartment. We also saw Professor Beethoven
(Doctor Carl, the American that teaches at a nearby university and stays in the
same apartment building as us), and invited him to learn about the Book of
Mormon. He's a devout southern Baptist, so he wasn't interested. It was a good
try though!
Wednesday, we went over to
Ariz's and figured out he had someone that could cover for him on Sundays so he
could come to church! I care more about Ariz than I care about any other
Malaysian. I feel like I'm basically related to him. I don't know why. He's seriously the nicest guy ever. It turns
out his boss doesn't trust the person that could cover for him though, so he
can't come to church yet. I wasn't too happy, but Ariz said he was just going
to ditch work next Sunday and come anyway, just to make a point. We'll see what happens! Hopefully he doesn't
get fired! He's determined to come to church though.
Thursday... hmmm. Oh, we ALMOST
went tracting, but then it started DUMPING rain. I've never seen it rain so
much. My shoes were doing a really good job at keeping the rain out until the
streets started flooding and the water went over my ankles. It was like a mini
river. It was the most epic thing of my life.
Instead of tracting, we just walked people across the street under our
umbrellas and contacted them while we did that. It was actually a ton of fun.
The gutters were full, and the gutters here are like 6 feet deep. It was
awesome. I really wish I had brought my planner so I could tell you who we
taught... Oh! We taught Keke and Nicholas! They're doing awesome! We literally
just have to teach them all the lessons, and they can be baptized. They’ve set
the date for December 3rd! I can't wait! Neither can Elder Forsyth or them. We told
them that if they didn't come to church for the next 3 weeks in a row, they
couldn't be baptized this transfer. They had things planned for Sunday, but the
minute we said they had to come to church, they cancelled everything and said
they were coming! So that was AWESOME. Elder Forsyth and I just started
laughing because we were so happy about how serious they were about baptism. I
can't wait! It'll be great!
Friday... Let's see. Oh! We
taught Cedric! It was awesome! He used to smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day,
now he's down to 1/2 a pack a day. He's determined to quit. He's moving to
Penang in a bit for a couple weeks, then in January, he's moving to Australia.
We probably won't be able to baptize him in Puchong, but he'll be baptized
somewhere else! I'm super excited for that. He's such a great guy. He was doing
chiropractic stuff on Elder Forsyth, and let me just say, I've never heard a
neck pop as loud as Elder Forsyth's popped. It was awesome. I laugh whenever he
pops our bones. I don't know why. Getting
your spine perfectly aligned feels amazing for a few days before it goes back
to normal. He says if he can fix our back 4 more times, they'll stay if we do
stretches he tells us to do. Bryant followed us around pretty much all day, so
that was awesome.
Saturday, we had English class,
and found two people that wanted to learn more about the gospel, so we were
super excited. We ended up teaching them Sunday. I'll give more details later.
After English, the Chinese Elders had a BAPTISM! Phoebe's baptism. It was
awesome. The service was in Chinese, and I actually understood some of it. I
taught Elder Forsyth how to say a prayer in Chinese, and then he said the
closing prayer. Everyone was shocked,
because they didn't know he could say a prayer in Chinese. After the baptism,
we ate a bunch of food, and I hung out with Bryan and Jun Jun. Bryan is 5, and
he's the wildest little kid I've met in my entire life. He can only speak
Chinese, so he goes off in Chinese, and I pretend I can understand. I'll send a
picture I took with him. Jun Jun is 3 or 4, and she's the cutest little Chinese
girl you'll ever meet. We have a secret handshake we do, and she even
remembered my name! Which I can't believe!
We played the piano together, and talked, and did a bunch of fun stuff.
I'll send a picture with her too.
Sunday, we taught the two
people from English class, Harshaa and Wei Xuan. They both came to church, and both
said they felt good at church, but didn't understand anything. So that was
awesome. We're meeting with them Tuesday. We just had a Q&A about church
really. After that, we taught Keke and Nicholas, which was fun. We reviewed
prophets, and taught the 10 commandments. then we ran over to the mall with
Sister Saffron to teach Daniel. Daniel was kind of a miracle contact. We said
hi to him right as he was getting off the train, then said, "We teach
people about Jesus Christ. Do you want to learn more?" He was really
interested in learning about Jesus, so we got off the train with him, got his
contact info, and set an appointment for Sunday. We went and taught him. He's
got some major potential, and he's a pretty heavy dude. We're going to need a
bigger baptismal font if we baptize him. I can't wait. He was super solid. When
we taught him the restoration, he said he felt really good about it.
We hopped on a bus to visit a
less active after teaching Daniel, and 10 minutes into the ride, I saw a sign
that said "Kelana Jaya KTM Station". That might not seem like a big
deal to most people, but it turns out, this bus headed right out of our area,
and it was about an hour-long train ride back to our area. We were freaking out, called the ZL's and
told them what happened, and then made the long journey back on the train to
our area. We probably could've walked back and had it take just as long, but
the train ride was nice, because we talked to people on the way back. From now
on we're always going to double check where the bus is going. It was a good experience to learn from! We
went to Sister Saffron's for dinner, taught a quick lesson, and she set out to
find a full Chinese name for me and for Elder Forsyth. So maybe next week, I'll
have a full Chinese name instead of just Elder Wood (mu is wood in Mandarin.
The funny thing is, Mu Ling is like a jungle. So really, I could be Elder
Jungle. Elder Wood also can though.)
I've been loving my mission.
It's been great! I look forward to every day, and Puchong is just getting
better and better! The Zone Leaders had nothing but praise for us because us
and the Chinese elders here are on FIRE. We're doing great. I love Puchong.
LUCKILY, I'll stay for one more transfer (hopefully). The transfer is already
half way over, and I'm most likely going to spend most of the week after this
one in Singapore, so really, there are only 2 weeks left for me in this
transfer! That'll be crazy! Visa runs and Zone Conference. My chop for my visa
actually ends next Monday, so I won't be able to email until late probably, and
then we have Zone Conference there Wednesday through Friday morning. Thanks for your support! Have an awesome
week!
Love,
Elder Ben Mullins
| Lots of Book of Mormons |
No comments:
Post a Comment