Singapore

Singapore
Singapore

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Off to Singapore



Hey Everyone!
First off, my computer's USB things aren't working, so I can't upload pictures this week. Next week, there will be a million pictures. I took a lot of them this week. Second, I'm going to Singapore in a few hours, so I'm going to have even more pictures next week. I'll be there for FIVE DAYS. I'm going to go broke. Malaysian Ringgit to Singapore Dollar is terrible, and they only give us enough to live in Malaysia. We'll see what I can do to survive...
Last Monday, Sister Stephanie brought us and her nephew Gordon to a HUGE Buddhist Temple. It was awesome. I can't believe that they could make something like that. Everything was so detailed. Lots of hours put into the temple for sure. We got some awesome waffle fries after that tasted really good. We taught Keke and Nicholas, and they're on track to be baptized on December 3rd! I can't wait!
On Tuesday, we went and ate at a waffle place for lunch, and as I was listening to the music playing, I thought I recognized one of the songs. I don't know ANY songs that people like listening to, so I was really surprised. But then when I listened more, I realized it was the Piano Guys' Beethoven's 5 secrets! So shout out to Kayson Brown for writing a song that is LITERALLY being played on the opposite side of earth by people that aren't from Utah! Anyway, we came up with contacting ideas, and made a list of 20 things that would make contacting more fun.
After that, we taught Harshaa and Wei Xuan, two best friends that actually live in the apartment right above ours. They're kind of weird girls, but they want to learn, so we put them both on date for December 31st! If they're baptized on the 31st, they'll be confirmed in a different year than they were baptized. That'll be AWESOME. Before we taught them, it was DUMPING rain. The mall across the freeway flooded, the roads were flooding where we were, and once again, my shoes are only waterproof until the water starts going over my ankles. I actually ended up buying a nice, cheap pair of shoes on Wednesday from a member who had an extra pair h wasn’t going to use.
Wednesday, we taught George. He's such a funny guy. He's really happy that he's baptized, and he's just a solid member all around.  He wants to be a missionary, so we just tell him that he can help the missionaries all he wants, but he's too old to go by himself. Maybe one day he and his wife could serve as a senior couple. We'll see!  That night, we went over to the Siew's (probably my favorite family in the branch), and had a really good Filipino dinner! Then we talked to them about why it's so important to go to sacrament meeting. Brother Siew is less active, because he uses work as an excuse to not go to church.  Elder Forsyth and I basically called them all to repentance, and I think he's going to become active again!
Thursday, we didn't do a ton besides talk to people. Elder Forsyth challenged me to set up an appointment for later that night in the contact, and I accepted. The first person we talked to, I basically had an appointment set up with her, but then Elder Forsyth decided to move it to the next day, so that stunk. Then she ended up not even showing up. But I almost did it! I was pretty excited about that. Later that night, Sister Saffron tookt us to a night market, and we advertised for English class there! It was actually really cool. I think we're going do that every week now!
Friday, we taught Shena with Shaan on Friday, and then went and got lunch with them after. It was pretty fun. We talked about missionary work, then she taught us some Malay. I can speak more Malay now! I can tell people that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true church on earth and that it was restored through prophets! So that's awesome! At English class, I learned where the word ‘news’ came from. North east west south, take the first letter of each word. BOOM. English is a crazy language, I know.
Saturday, we went over to Cedric's place and taught him. After an awesome lesson on the Plan of Salvation, we told him that we wanted to make a goal with him to help him quit smoking. Elder Forsyth said something along the lines of he wants Cedric to pick up his last cigarette on Saturday. Cedric said it shouldn't be a problem! So that's awesome! He'll be DONE on Saturday. He's solid. I can't wait to baptize him.
After we taught English on Saturday, a guy named Ibraham stayed after and taught me how to say "I know the Book of Mormon is true" in Arabic. So now I can say that in Arabic! I'm learning so many languages! It's actually a lot of fun! Arabic is a super weird language, but Ibraham said that if I met with him 3 hours a day, he could have me fluent in 4 months. He's gotten his PhD in Arabic, and taught it for a living back in Yemen, so that's pretty cool. He's a good teacher.
After English class, we hopped on the train. A guy came up to us and asked if he could learn more about our church.  Elder Forsyth and I both recognized him. He's a member that goes to the Cheras branch. He's from Iran, and joined the church a little over a year ago. He was just trying to see if he could get us to contact him and to see if we were good of missionaries.  He was on his way to translate for some Persian guy that was in Malaysia to buy 800 tons of chick peas; like 2 million USD worth of chick peas. No big deal. That was a fun conversation though!
We also taught a Nigerian named Joseph who seemed like he could be pretty solid. He was pumped when we gave him a Book of Mormon for free. At the end of the lesson, we asked him what he thought about all of the things we taught him, and he stopped and waited for a minute, then looked at us and said, "I'm just super happy that you gave this book to me for free! I was ready to pay as much as you asked for it, but you gave it to me as a gift!" He's hilarious. He has a friend in Utah that's a member, and she told him he should find some missionaries here, so he referred himself to us. He has some potential.
Sunday, Ariz came to church! Missionaries have been meeting with him for 7 transfers (10 and a half months) trying to get him to come to church, but he always had to go to work.  Sunday, he decided he was just going to ditch work and come to church!  We were super pumped about that! He's easily my favorite person in Malaysia. He told me I need to go to the Philippines so he can be my tour guide there.  I guess I have to go there sometime after my mission so he can show me around! Brother Siew also came, and I'm pretty sure he'll come every Sunday now! Keke and Nicholas came too.  They need to come next Sunday, and they'll be baptized on the 3rd of December! Right before transfers! Wow, this transfer is almost over! Crazy!
After church, Elder Forsyth and I taught a lot of lessons, then Elder Forsyth started feeling sick. We went home and he just slept while I packed for Singapore and organized and cleaned.  It was kind of a slow day yesterday after church, but Elder Forsyth is doing better today! So that's great!
I'm loving every single day of my mission! Malaysia is crazy! But it's also lots of fun! I love the people here! They're so funny. Sorry I couldn't send pictures this week! Next week I promise I'll send a lot! I had about 15 pictures I was going to send today, so there will for sure be lots next week! I love you all! Have a great week! I heard it snowed in Utah! It's definitely not snowing here. But it's dumping rain pretty much every day! So that's tons of fun!
Love you all!
Elder Ben Mullins

No comments:

Post a Comment