Hey Everyone!
This week went by FAST! So much
happened in such little time, it seemed like the first five days were just one
big day, because I was in SINGAPORE! It was awesome! Singapore is such a nice place,
and it doesn't smell bad everywhere. It's
AWESOME. I guess I'll do a day by day analysis of what happened.
Monday, we emailed, then I left
everyone and jumped in a cab to Singapore! I was the only one going on Monday,
because my visa expired Monday. Everyone else had to wait till Wednesday. On
the way to the airport, I looked down at my feet, and there were roaches
EVERYWHERE; crawling up my pant legs and over my shoes. The cab was infested
with them. I sat in the back of a small taxi with cockroaches crawling all over
me. It was awesome. I'd just shake them off every now and then, then they'd
stay off for a bit. That's Malaysia for you! I got to the airport, walked
around for a bit, went through security, got some food, then walked around the
airport more by myself. It feels amazing to not be attached to a companion! I
didn't realize how much I had gotten used to it! It was nice to go wherever I wanted and not have
to have anyone follow. After about an hour and a half, I went to board the plane,
and met my companion that would be my companion in Singapore: Elder Gara! He's
awesome! He's from Sarawok (East Malaysia), and he's Chinese Iban, so he can
speak a million different languages; Chinese, Iban, Malay, English, Sign
language (American and Malaysian), and Tagalog. He's awesome. He learned
English and sign language on his mission. He actually wanted to teach a person
so badly, that he learned sign language from them, and then ended up baptizing
them! He's a super smart guy, and he's
really funny too. We got to Singapore, picked up mail, and then went to the Merlion
statue! It's awesome! I'll send pictures of the statue. It's a mermaid lion statue that shoots out
water. Then we saw a really cool building just across the bay. It's 3 really
tall buildings with a giant ship on top. I'll send a picture of that one too!
Ipoh zone was having their zone conference there too, so I got to see Elder Ng
and Fogth Monday through Wednesday too! That was fun.
Tuesday, we went to the doctor
for Elder Gara (he hurt his wrist a few months ago, and was just getting the OK
to start biking again), and that took a while.
After that, we went to the botanic gardens! It was awesome. There were
so many weird looking plants and a ton of really cool flowers and stuff. I
enjoyed it a lot. We found an awesome snail on the way to it too. It was HUGE.
At night, we stole pizza from Ipoh's zone conference, and it was amazing. I
haven't had that much cheese in a long time. I miss pizza a lot... so it was
awesome to get some pizza!
Wednesday... Let's see. I went
to a tie shop in Singapore that's famous in the missionary world of Singapore
mission. It was ok, but all the missionaries that had come the week before had
taken all the good ties. I DID find one that was pretty alright, but other than
that, I wasn't super impressed with the ties. Elder Ng bought me one in Penang,
but accidentally left it, so in 3 months, I should have the tie Elder Ng bought
me. Elder Forsyth flew in later in the day, so I was companions with my
companion for the last few hours of the day. It was good to be with him again.
He's a lot of fun to be with.
Thursday was a really fast day,
but I was expecting it to be really long. We had zone conference meetings from
9 AM until 9 PM. We had a Thanksgiving lunch though, and it was AMAZING. I
forgot what turkey tasted like! All this Asian food is changing my taste
buds. The turkey, mashed potatoes and
gravy, and rolls were probably the best thing I've eaten in the last 4 and a
half months. SEDAP! That's delicious in Malay. In our second session of
meetings, to close right before dinner, they said they were going to play a
little music video of "Savior, Redeemer of My Soul", and they
projected the video onto a screen in the chapel. Guess who I saw on the screen? KAYSON BROWN.
And guess whose music video it was? Lyceum Philharmonic's! And guess who was in
the video? ME! I told Elder Forsyth, then some other Elders overheard, and
started asking me questions. Once the
video was over, we had our break, and I asked President Simmons if he saw me in
the video. He went back and paused it
right where I was and pointed me out to everyone. It was really funny. He and
his wife were really surprised that I was in the video! Somebody has to tell Kayson that even our
music videos are making it to Singapore! After that, we had another pizza
dinner that was super good, but I was too full from the Thanksgiving lunch to
eat much pizza.
Friday was good. Elder Forsyth
had to leave for his flight earlier than me, so I was companions with Elder
Gara again. Elder Rogers wanted to go to China town in Singapore, and we didn't
have anything else to do, so we just tagged along with him and his
companion. We hung out in China town for
a few hours before heading to the airport! At the airport, we grabbed some
Subway, then sat in FREE massage chairs (the Singapore airport is super nice)
and talked. It was a lot of fun! Once we got to Malaysia, we went through
customs. They weren't too happy that I had just been hanging out in Malaysia
for 4 months, and asked me a million questions, but finally let me through.
Customs is always a little bit scary to go through, because if you're stamped
out of Malaysia, you're probably going to get stamped out of Singapore, and
then they have to reassign you to a new mission. Please pray that never happens to me! We ended up taking separate ways (Elder Gara
took the train, because it went right to his area, and I took a taxi). In the
KL area, there are two malls with the names "IOI". There's IOI Mall
in Puchong, near to my area, and there's IOI City Mall, down in Putrajaya,
about a 45-minute drive from my area. I
bought a fixed price taxi to IOI Mall, so I paid a fixed price, and they drove
me there. The taxi driver took me to IOI City Mall (aka the wrong mall). I told
him that he took me to the wrong mall, and that I had to go to IOI Mall. He was not happy. He kept yelling that this
WAS IOI Mall and I needed to get out of the taxi. Finally I asked him what the full name of
this mall was, and of course, he said IOI City Mall. Then I told him to look at
the ticket I bought, and what mall name was on it. And it said IOI Mall. So
FINALLY, after about 5 minutes of arguing, we made the looooong drive to IOI mall.
I was in the taxi for about 3 hours, and it should've only taken 50 minutes.
There was tons of traffic and it was raining, so it took forever. I got to the
right mall eventually, went home, nobody was there, and I didn't have a phone. Then I realized English class was starting in
30 minutes. I pulled out a white shirt, ironed it, and then started walking to
the church. I made it, and everyone asked me why I took so long to get there,
and then we taught English! It was a crazy day.
Saturday... Oh, we helped
Sister Bowee move, then taught English again. We had a movie night, so we set
up for that. We pulled out speakers and a projector, moved all the chairs, and
got food; pretty much everything we could find. Then we went out and talked with
people for a while, came back, had Christmas Carol practicing with the branch
choir, and then had movie night! We had a lot of investigators and branch
members there. We watched Prince of Egypt.
It was a lot of fun! I was exhausted, so
I think I might've fallen asleep. I'm not really sure. It was an awesome day.
Sunday went by really fast.
After church, Keke and Nicholas had their interviews for baptism, and both of
them passed!!! WOOHOO!!! They're going
to be baptized on Saturday! I'm pumped for that! I'll be baptizing Nicholas,
and Keke will be baptized by Elder Forsyth. It's going be awesome. After that,
we visited less actives, then had a Thanksgiving party at sister Saffron's,
where we had the most amazing Chinese food I've ever had. It was amazing. SO
GOOD. That was awesome. We just got all
of our investigators fellowshipped hardcore, so that was awesome.
This week went by super fast! The
transfer ends next week! That went by
super fast too! I think Elder Forsyth is going to go to Penang, and the rest of
us will stay in Puchong! That's my
guess! I hope you all have an awesome week! Thanks for everything you do for
me!
Love,
Elder Ben Mullins
 |
| Ariz at Work |
 |
| Ariz came to church |
 |
| Cool boat building in Singapore |
 |
| Botanic Garden |
 |
| A Braille Book of Mormon |
 |
| A Buddhist Temple Statue |
 |
| Buddhist Temple |
 |
| Cleaning the house |
 |
| Double Name Tags |
 |
| Elder Gara |
 |
| My favorite little girl, Jun Jun |
 |
| Keke and Nicholas |
 |
| The Merlion in Singapore |
 |
| Out numbered by the locals-Elder Ng, Elder Gara and Elder Hugh |
 |
| A selfie |
 |
| Subway in Singapore |
No comments:
Post a Comment