Singapore

Singapore
Singapore

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Rain Everyday!



Hey Everyone!

This week was crazy! It was full of miracles, and we had a ton of fun! On Monday, we had an eating contest between David Chong and Elder Schellenberg. It was awesome. They put away a TON of roti. Roti is a super good bread. Roti really just means bread in Malay.  Whenever someone says roti, normally they mean roti canai (the stuff they ate). Elder Schellenberg won. So that was cool. David ended up throwing up in the middle of a mall later, and Elder Schellenberg just sat on his bed all day after.  That night, we went over to the Jopius's house. It was fun, and we had a really good lesson. Sister Jopius was telling us about how everyone at her village is trying super hard to get her to come to the only church up there (a Catholic church), but she always tells them that it's a false church. Haha! So that's pretty awesome.

Tuesday, we had a great district meeting, then I can't really remember much after that... We taught Andrew about tithing, and we committed him to pay tithing after he was baptized.  He asked us if he was only allowed to pay 10%, because he wanted to pay more.  We told him that's what fast offerings were for. Haha!  He's ready to receive those blessings from tithing! After teaching him, Elder Mickelson and I went to the airport to go on exchanges in Tawau!  We flew into Tawau at night, and then stayed all day Wednesday, and flew back to KK on Thursday!

Wednesday, I was with Elder Loutzenheiser.  I got to ride a super broken bike, and got to see Tawau! So that was cool. It’s a pretty awesome place. We got 2 new investigators, and 2 solid potential investigators who we taught the restoration to. So that was cool. I had a lot of fun, but there are TONS of Muslims there. It was crazy. It had to have been like 80% Muslim. I took a picture with the family of the 2 potential investigators we taught. The potentials are the two oldest kids.

We flew back Thursday morning, and did weekly planning and studies. After that, we met with a guy named Syirus. He’s Russian Orthodox. That’s the first time I've ever taught one! It was super interesting though. They have many more correct beliefs than Catholicism.  It was really funny, because he kept saying we need to follow the traditions of the Apostles.  We started talking about how Paul wasn't one of the original Twelve, but he was called later.  Then we asked him why we couldn't call more Apostles after.  He was trying to think of an answer, and then just changed the subject on us. It was pretty funny. He actually read the Book of Mormon, and is super interested in it, so we didn't drop him the second time we met with him! He's super smart. He knows English, and knows what Gentile means. He’s literally the first person in Malaysia that wasn't a member of our church who I've met that knows what a Gentile is.

Friday, we met with Andrew and taught him about the priesthood and other things. He ate it up. At the end of the lesson, he said he had a question that was super important, but then wouldn't ask it.  I think he's just messing with us. He was smiling as he said he had a question, so I don't think he really did. We had English class... I can't remember what else.

Saturday, we visited Rina. She's been really sick for quite a while.  When she opened her door, her face was WHITE.   I was a little scared she was about to die, but I think she'll be ok. She got color in her face once we started meeting. It was just a little weird since she doesn't really have white skin, but her face was white.  We taught her and everything seemed fine.  I told some members at church to make sure they visit her once a week. We met with Syirus again, and had a nice good discussion on the Book of Mormon. We had assigned him to read 2 Nephi 29 the time before, and he did, and he marked it UP. It was way cool. Most of the questions he asked were answered in all the pages before 2 Nephi 29, so we committed him to read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover.  I think he'll actually do it really quickly. He just eats it up. He's kind of skeptical about it right now, but as he starts to read it, he'll become converted. So that'll be awesome. Give it a few weeks! Haha! That's the best thing about our church! If they pray, read, and come to church, they'll know it's true!

Yesterday... Let's see. We met with Shadan, Jonvi, and Lee Kok Hung, and put them all on date. They're 3 of the bros that we teach. They ate it up, and totally understood the importance of the priesthood. It was awesome. Andrew helped us teach members after church. So that was super cool too. We're hoping to turn Andrew into the automatic member present man. He wants to finish school, get a job and save up, then go on a mission! He told us that was his new goal. Then after his mission, he was hoping he would be able to go to BYU and further his education. It was pretty awesome!

This week was crazy! Tons of stuff happened, and I only told you some of it.  It dumped rain every single day.   There are rockslides everywhere, drainage systems almost overflowing (not quite), and we were SOAKED all week, but it was ok!   All our hard work was totally worth it. Apparently, there's a typhoon over in the Philippines, so that's why it's raining every day here. It's been great though! I can't wait to see what happens this week! Andrew and Inday are getting baptized in two weeks, so we're all super excited for that too!

Love,

Elder Ben Mullins





Cool tree




Pineapple plant




Drunk dude we messed with




Family in Tawau




Roti




The bill for roti meal




Brother Jopius and his family








Johnny's baptism




Andrew




The Chongster




Huge Book of Mormon




The Bros


Zone conference-Elder Allred, Elder Mickelsen





No comments:

Post a Comment