This is a transcript of the audio Elder Mullins sent this
week. It’s really hard to guess how to
spell the foreign words. He will have to
help me correct those in his book when he gets home.
3/11/18
Dear friends and family,
What happened to Azmira?
She was supposed to be baptized on March 3, but she went to campung and
her family talked her out of getting baptized. That happens a lot.
We wanted something cool to take home with us from KK so we
went and got sunputungs. The name comes
from campung. It’s a gourd with a piece of bamboo sticking
out of it. If you hold it the right way
you can make noise like a horn. We’ve
heard back in the day, if you wanted to get a wife you went out on the corner
and played the sungputung to draw attention to oneself. Pretty awesome! It’s a cool instrument. It’s the second coolest instrument I own.
We were talking with Mixter today. Since it’s the end of the transfer one of us
might leave. We said, “Mixter, you are a
professional basket weaver, right?” He
said, “Well, I’m not professional, but I’m pretty good.” We asked if he could teach us the art of
basket weaving tomorrow. It turns out
that Mixter is a very passionate basket weaver.
He knows the dusung art of basket weaving, but he’s the only dusung from
his campung who actually knows how to weave baskets. No one in his campung knows how to weave
except for him. He’s protecting this
ancient art of dusungetry. At first, we
started talking and he got really excited.
We didn’t really know how serious he was until, with tears in his eyes
he grabbed us at the end of church. He
said, “Elders, you need to pray that you will always remember what I am about
to teach you tomorrow about basket weaving.”
He’s pretty worried about this ancient art being passed down. I’m so excited about it. I don’t know if we are making baskets. I just know he weaves.
Early in the week we got to have a member named Adric follow
us around the whole day. He’s just
coming back from inactivity. While he
was inactive he went to an Anglican church and became the worship leader over
there. He said, “I didn’t believe in their church, but their church is more fun
so I became a worship leader there. I was the first Mormon worship leader there,” Uuummm, yeah, because it’s an Anglican
church. Ha Ha! He’s way obsessed with Mormon memes. Mix together “I’m trying to be Like Jesus”
and “Harry Potter”. The tunes are pretty
much the same. (Ben and Elder Mickelson
sang it for us to show us. It was really
neat, almost scary…Ha Ha!). We are excited to get Adric back. He’s also helping a lot of the youth come
back to church too.
![]() |
| Myles |
When we were on exchanges with him we met a person named
Tien. Tien looks exactly like my cousin,
Kenyon, back in the day. He even acts
like him. It’s unbelievable. If Kenyon was Asian, he would be Tien. He does not believe in God. We sat him down and taught him a thing or
two. And now, as Tien always says, “I
don’t know.” That’s how he responds to
everything. He’s moving to KL soon. We will try to solidify him and then send him
to the elders there.
We wanted to find Brother Sofry’s workplace. We were walking around a place called
Bondaron looking for him. We gave him a
call and found him. He works at a small hotel. He hired his friend, Jeffry, another church
member, to clean the windows and do other jobs for a day. Sofry owns the hotel and is passionate about
it. He does a really good job with
it. He’s remodeling it and it’s a nice
little hotel. White people live in
it. A lot of times he’s just sitting in
the office waiting for customers to come in.
We have this classic Preparing-to-go-on-a-mission- guy. If we ever find anyone in that area we are
welcome to bring them to the hotel to teach a lesson. It’s really nice and quiet and he helps us
teach them. That was a gold mine find!
A really solid member named Adrian came in with his friend
Freddy from Kudot. That was really cool,
because he had to drop another investigator named Freddy, also from Kudot. Dropped a Freddy, got a Freddy.
You remember the guy, Myles, who is going to open
China? He’s back! Remember that other Chinese guy that doesn’t
know English that came to English class?
He’s coming every week. He’s
still here! Myles is the guy that brought
that guy from China to Malaysia. Back in
the day he and Myles went scuba diving together. Now this Chinese guy is getting solid and
coming to church. He even came to a
branch activity. Myles is whipping him
into shape and inviting him over. That
is a connection I didn’t think would ever exist. That was a really cool miracle.
The last thing…the transfer is coming to a close. As of tomorrow, anything can happen. Six months together with Elder Mickelson. In the same house for nine months. It could all be coming to an end
tomorrow.
![]() |
| Myle's friend from China |
I don’t even know what else to say. We got haircuts from Elder DJ, because we had
some extra time last night. Elder Mickelson
almost beat Elder Loutzin in an arm wrestle last night. I lost my voice. That’s why we didn’t make a recording last
week. I have about 80% back now.
I hope you all have a fabulous week!
Love,
Elder Mullins
We got this news a few minutes after his first email:
I'm going to a place called Kuching! It's the biggest city
in East Malaysia! Possibly the biggest city on Borneo! So that's exciting! I've
heard a ton of super good things about Kuching, so I'm excited to go there! My companion
will be Elder Sorensen. He's pretty funny, from Ohio, and a lot of missionaries
think that his face looks like Jack Black. Not really sure about that one.
Buuuuuut it'll be way fun!
![]() |
| Wesley and Jefrin |
![]() |
| At Sofrey's work with Jefrin and Adrick |
![]() |
| Fun with kids |
![]() |
| Sompotons |







No comments:
Post a Comment